Tip - Use <Ctrl><+> keys on keyboard to make the Text Larger
and <Ctrl><-> for Smaller Text on most newer browsers
Smith Falls State Park and Smith Falls
- Nebraska's tallest waterfall - east of Valentine, NE
If your travels in the Nebraska Sandhills take you to Valentine, Nebraska, don't miss Smith Falls, the tallest waterfall in Nebraska. It is located about 15 miles east of Valentine Via Nebraska Hwy 12 along the Niobrara River. -- A Sandhills Nebraska Travels "Must See!"
Smith Falls - Tallest Waterfall in Nebraska
- with boardwalk to waterfall and stream
down to Niobrara River - near Valentine, NE
This picture is now on our US Vacation Sites
High Resolution Photo Preview pages - page 3 or 4
The Smith Falls Park with the highest waterfall in Nebraska is also a naturally occurring "biological museum". The 70-foot waterfall's source of water is a small spring-fed creek, not currently accessable by the hiking trails. Some unique tree and bird species survive in the north-facing canyons along the 30-mile stretch of the Niobrara River where Smith Falls is located -- some are as far as 400 miles from their relatives in eastern Kansas or South Dakota -- surviving in the park at the extreme edges of their distribution areas.
Niobrara River from the restored Verdigre Creek Steel Bridge on walk up to Smith Falls Waterfall. Smith Falls Park Campground & Picnic areas are on left overlooking River.
A 76 mile segment of the Niobrara River east of Valentine, Nebraska, was designated a National Scenic River, as well as a 25-mile stretch of the Niobrara reaching to the Missouri River designated a Federal Recreational River in May of 1991 by President George Bush. Canoeing has become very popular on the Niobrara River during recent years with Smith Falls State Park being a favorite camping spot for Canoers on the River.
The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission established the 250 acre Smith Falls State Park in May of 1992 to protect and preserve the unique biological and scenic importance of the Tallest Waterfall Smith Falls Site and "biological museum" forest area, as well as popular canoeing on the unspoiled Niobrara River that runs through the park where overnight camping is available.
Smith Falls Park trail to
tallest waterfall in Nebraska + Interesting moved and restored 1910 Historic Steel walking bridge over Niobrara River. Adjacent to Scenic Picnic & Camping areas
Smith Falls Waterfall Video Clip with sounds of Smith Falls
- Nebraska's tallest waterfall + stream down to Niobrara River.
Click > above to play Smith Falls Waterfall Video.
Click this link to play the Smith Falls Waterfall Video at YouTube video. (You will also be able to see the links to our other Nebraska Travels "Deer Fight" and "Deer Running in Back Yard" Videos Hosted there and play them if you wish)
Boardwalk walking trail up to Nebraska's tallest Waterfall viewing area in Smith Falls State Park on the Niobrara River. Beautiful Scenic Trail - much of it overlooking Niobrara River or stream from Smith Falls Waterfall.
See this link for the very Informative Nebraska Game and Parks Commission Web Site pages on Smith Falls State Park which includes information on Smith Falls State Park primitive and other camping facilities and reservations, day use picnic sites, and camping by canoers on the Niobrara River + pay showers. The Site even includes a 5.1Meg Video Tour of the Smith Falls water fall area and Smith Falls State Park facilities.
The Smith Falls Park is open Memorial Day - Labor Day --the posted hours as of 10/16/06 are below: (They had closed for season when we were there this trip - See their web site above or call for updated Park + Niobrara canoeing and overnight camping Info.)
Sun - Thurs: 8 a.m. -10 p.m.
Friday & Saturday: 8 a.m. - 11 a.m.
Call the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission in Lincoln, NE for more info at:
1-800-826-7275 or the Smith Falls Park Office at 1-402-376-1306 for reservations.
Stream from Smith Falls, Nebraska's tallest Waterfall down to Niobrara River that runs next to the boardwalk trail up to the Falls.
This picture + the above boardwalk trail photo are now on our US Vacation Sites High Resolution Photo Preview pages - page 3 or 4
We would rate the very Scenic Smith Falls State Park on the Niobrara River and the Smith Falls tallest water fall in Nebraska as a "Must See" in any Northern or Western Nebraska Sandhills road trip that takes you near Valentine, NE and the peaceful Niobrara River in your Nebraska Travels.
A listing of some of the pages on this Site now, plus some of the pages and pictures to come are in the Menu listing to the left -- more will be added later.
The list of the pages here now + descriptions is below.
- Toadstool Geologic Park in the Chadron, NE "Badlands" area northwest of the Western Nebraska Sandhills -- plus Hiking Trail Info and Photo Gallery (High Resolution Photo Versions are now also available.)
- Sandhill Crane Migration - Pictures, Viewing Location Tips, Crane Links, & Maps + Video of thousands of Cranes flying in to roost for the night on the Platte River at Sunset and their unusual sounds!
- Colorful Nebraska Sunsets Photo Gallery + Nebraska Country Sunrises & Free Screensaver Pictures - with High Resolution Photo Download Links
- The Western Nebraska Road Trip - the Nebraska Sandhills and Panhandle Road Trip Via the Scenic non-Interstate Route - Includes Nebraska National Forest and Scottsbluff area Attractions + Others. MANY great Pictures!!!
- Deer Running Video - 10 Deer Running in Back Yard of an Acreage in Eastern, Nebraska + Deer "Fight" Video Movie Clip and picture.
- Wild Turkeys in back yard - flying to perch on gym set - Video & Photos
- Mari Sandoz High Plains Heritage Center - prize-winning author - "Nebraska's Story Teller" - Display on Chadron State College Campus in Chadron, NE
- Nebraska Maps - Interactive and Printable - for Nebraska Road Trips and Attraction Areas
- Home Page - NebraskaTravels.com - Nebraska road trips with special sections on the Nebraska Sandhills - An "Insider" Nebraska Vacations Guide - "Reviews" - Tips - Pictures
Come back and watch our growth -- and check for our our new Nebraska Sandhills and other Nebraska Travels Attraction pictures and video clip postings!
Traveler to / Builder of: NebraskaTravels.com
-- Your Insider "Picture Enhanced" Nebraska Vacations Guide
You can also check out our "Sister" Affordable US Beach Vacations Guide
"Picture Enhanced" Web Site at: Memorable-Beach-Vacations.com
-- and our US Mountain Fall Vacations site
Thanks for dropping by -- come back and visit us soon for
Info on your next Affordable Nebraska Travels -- or to check out our latest Picture or Video additions!
Comments, Questions, or Suggestions - Gene Seecann Sites Comment Form Page - send your comments -- or share your own Nebraska Travels, Nebraska Sandhills, or Niobrara River Tallest Waterfall favorites or pictures. (This goes to a Contact Us fill-in form on one of our other US Vacation Sites, but we will receive it OK - please mention which of our Sites and the Page or Photo you are commenting on.)
Please be patient for your reply, as often we have a lot of comments or questions to reply to. Thanks!